Thursday, July 21, 2016

Utilizing mobile devices in the classroom



Should students' be allowed to utilize mobile devices in the classroom? If you ask me, I think that the question is a little to vague and could have multiple answers depending on the situation. Using cellphones in the classroom could have it's pros and cons. I think that if you set particular times for when to use them they could work efficiently but if you allow your students' to use them anytime throughout the day then it could lead to a lack in education. When using computers for certain classroom activities, there should be an option to use cell phones for different research and educational games as well. Another reason that I think using cell phones in the classroom would be beneficial is because it could be used to contact others for emergency reasons. However, with those being said I also think that using cell phones in the classroom could lead to negative effects as well. Using cell phones during class could lead to distractions as well as other safety regulations. Although the students' may not mean any harm it could lead to situations that may not be the best. Another con of using cell phones in class is that it could cause a lack of communication between students as well as the teacher. Learning in schools should be spent wisely and include a lot of hands on and group activities. I personally think that cell phones being used for education reasons outside of class would be beneficial because students' can communicate with each other and the teacher outside of class but using cell phones during class could lead to many other negative factors if they are not controlled and being regulated.  

3 comments:

  1. I agree with everything you said about there being pros and cons to each type of technology allowed in the classroom. The teacher would need to either limit or structure their use in the classroom setting but devices could also be useful as a line of communication outside of the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on this. I actually couldn't make a definite yes or no to the question either. I can see both sides and I feel that the teacher will need to make a class by class or even a student by student decision. An example, when I was in high school in a reading class, I have problems with reading and understanding the written word. I have no issues at all with hearing the lesson either through lecture or by having things read to me or by the computer, such as books on tape. My reading teacher allowed me to "listen" to the book on an Mp3 player while reading silently. These types of listening devices were forbidden in the classroom, but she understood my problem and knew that I would not abuse the privilege.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey McKenzie! Like everyone else, it was pretty hard to just take one side of the discussion. However, you did a wonderful job of providing both the advantages and disadvantages. I too believe that having mobile devices provides a distraction to both the teacher and students. It is up to the teacher to regulate how much screen time their students will get.

    ReplyDelete